Sunday, January 16, 2011

Time Traveling


Went to a great flee market yesterday. The building that held it is an old shipyard building, with so much atmosphere—even without the fog! But as an extra treat, it was wrapped in thick, grey fog. There were hardly anyone there, and standing next to the old walls, holding my breath in the damp morning, I could almost hear the singing of steel, and the yellin' of workers.








A couple of hours later, I went home, my head buzzing with history, carrying a small nightstand I'd bought at a ridiculously low price :-)

Wiki: Burmeister & Wain Shipyard
Image: 1885 painting from inside the building

9 comments:

  1. What a great adventure! I love places like that. And the photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the texture and colors of the first image is so amazing--great group. Fog and delicous old bricks! i love old places like this, big and expansive, i bet you could hear the whispers of the past.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, what a beautiful building ... and that fog adds the most wondrous, atmospheric cloak to the whole outing. Time traveller indeed - you could have been transported to many past times.

    Your photos are fantastic, and I'm so glad you came away with a market bargain.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like fog,
    it adds atmosphere
    but
    anyway,
    that's a pretty building
    and i'd love to see
    your pretty nighttable
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The singing of steel... I like how you have described it.

    Beautiful photos, too, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings my dear "Scraps" friend...
    love these pictures...I wish I could be there...
    looks like a marvelous place to be within!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photographs and descriptive writing...thanks for sharing
    Marina in England

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful and with such an Atmosphere !

    ReplyDelete